Monday, May 16, 2011

Bad Blogger

In which our heroine apologizes for going incognito, recaps the excitement that's been going on, and teases an exciting new reveal that will occur later this week (come hell or high water)...

Wow, so I knew that I hadn't blogged in awhile, but going on three months is absolutely inexcusable - SO - here's what's been keeping me busy on the fabric front.

1) The Original Sewing & Quilt Expo - for the first time, in Lakeland.  I've been going to this event for years and followed it through a few locations in Clearwater and over to the Convention Center in Tampa.  This year was the first of a few (three?  four?) in Lakeland.  I'm not gonna lie, I wasn't a fan.  Parking was expensive and packed, classes weren't as interesting as in years past, and the Expo was split over two rooms.  On the positive side, a few new patterns, lots of fabric to drool over, and a few new ideas for purses (incorporating leather handles, etc.).  There was a HUGE amount of folk art with visible stitches and hand embroidery.  Beautiful work to see, but still working on how to incorporate it into bag design. 

2) Classes!  Both taking them and teaching them.  For my personal skill set, I took a few in crochet and hand embroidery, which have both been fun to practice, but I still prefer to crank something out in a few hours on the machine.  What can I say, I'm an instant gratification sort of girl... The nice thing is that both were taught by people who love their craft, which was so inspiring to see and was completely addicting.  I have a whole new level of respect for hand work and the possibilities for it beyond samplers.  Plus, in case you were ever wondering, I can tell you EXACTLY why English-made needles are superior. And, if I can get sappy for a little bit, I was using classic techniques and tools that have literally been in my family for generations.  It was a pretty powerful moment, and I felt so connected to the amazing women who came before me.  It still gives me chills.  I can either regret that I didn't take the time to learn from them before they passed, or I can try to honor them now with the work that I do.  I think you know which one I picked.  :)

3) Teaching!  In addition to bag classes at Keep Me in Stitches, I've started teaching Sewing 101 and will begin teaching Embroidery 101 in June.  With Sewing 101, we literally start with how to plug the machine in, so it's truly a beginner's course.  I was so excited by seeing my first class go from not knowing how to thread the machine to finishing their projects that I went an hour over the allotted time (sorry, Penny!!).  Exhausting, but SO gratifying.  It's the first Monday of every month at the South store, so please join me!  You don't need any previous experience, you can rent a machine from the store, and yes - there are men as well as women in the class.  Other classes coming up include a few purses of my own design, an embroidery and sewing project by the incredibly talented Ms. Sue O'Very from Sealed with a Stitch, and a few of the more advanced Amy Butler bags.  The current schedule can always be found at http://www.kmisinc.com/ or you can e-mail me for more information.

4) Patterns.  The Marvelous Memories Tie Purse pattern can now be found and both Keep Me in Stitches AND the Bernina-Pfaff Sewing Center.  Thanks so much to Melissa and Debra for supporting me!  Now (literally) back to the drawing board for the next one.

5) Samples!!  In addition to samples for class, I'm also prepping a huge amount of things for sale and a few samples for made-to-order purses of the personal use and bridesmaid varieties.  I'll share more when it's finished and the display is set up in the store so you can stop by and visit.  Wait?  Did I say store?  :)

6) Web work.  Well, obviously not blogging... BUT I have been spending a lot of time online and with camera in hand for the big reveal that is coming later this week.  The Side Stitches Facebook page is almost ready for public consumption. :)  A few more photos, the informational items, and a little bit of work on the tinyurl redirect and we'll be ready to go!!  Depending on how much caffeine I have, I'm hoping that it will go live this evening.  If not, then in the next few days... and I promise there WILL be a post here when it happens. 

So with all of this going on, plus a full-time job, boot camp, etc., the lack of blogging is excusable, right?  No, still not excusable, but hopefully this huge download will show that I do still love you...  oh, and one more thing...

7) Martha Pullen!! How did I almost forget to mention that I spent three amazing days working hands-on with the one and only Martha Pullen?  Yes, she of the heirloom empire.  I'm not much of an heirloom person in terms of my own personal aesthetic, but I was there for the techniques and experience, and what an experience it was... Three days of working with top of the line machines, teachers, and materials.  Speaking one on one with Martha on building a business.  Gorgeous samples everywhere.  Words can't describe how transformational those three days were. Plus, I got to share it with some of my favorite people in the business and one of my favorite people (period) - my mom.  :)  AMAZING.  We have already started making plans to attend her class in Orlando next year, and we're dreaming about taking a few weeks off to take courses at her home studio in Huntsville.  If you sew, I can't recommend it more highly.  I will be incorporating some of the materials and techniques into bags in the future.

Alright, officially signing off.  Back to work!  Hope all is well with you & yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment